The update to firmware version 1.4.2 introduces minor security as well as user experience improvements. Please check our blog post for full details on the changes included in this update.Before updating your Ledger Nano S, make sure your 24 word seed is accessible, even though it will not be required for most users.
Be advised that, as many users might try to update their devices at the same time upon the launch of the firmware update, our servers could experience heavy traffic the first moments of an update launch. This may result in difficulties or delays when updating your Ledger Nano S. If you experience any delay while updating your Ledger Nano S, we kindly ask for you to try updating your device again after waiting a few hours.
If you are experiencing an issue during the update, please check our update FAQ for troubleshooting tips.
1. Check the current firmware
2. Launch the Ledger Manager
3. Uninstall applications
4. Download and start the update
5. Proceed with firmware update
- If the firmware version identified in Step 1 was 1.3.1 or lower, the Ledger Nano S will display MCU firmware is outdated (left side of the image below) and To begin, connect your Ledger Wallet on the Ledger Manager (right side of the image below). In this case, go to Step 6.
6. Reboot the Ledger Nano S
- Disconnect and reconnect the Ledger Nano S to the computer using the USB cable.
- Unlock the Ledger Nano S by entering your PIN code.
- The process should restart. Still having an issue? Please check our FAQ for troubleshooting tips.
- If the firmware version identified in Step 1 was 1.3.1, go directly to Step 7.
- If the Ledger Nano S was already in use and the firmware version identified in Step 1 was 1.2 or lower, the 24 word seed now has to be re-entered to restore the wallet. Make sure the left button is pressed when asked: Configure as new device? Refer to this article for assistance during the recovery process.
- If the Ledger Nano S is new and the firmware version identified in Step 1 was 1.2 or lower, the device is ready to be configured for first use. Make sure the right button is pressed when asked: Configure as new device? Refer to the Ledger Nano S start page for assistance during the initialization process.
7. Verify the firmware and MCU versions of the Nano S
8. Reinstall applications